Plymouth issues warning about frozen water pipes

Staff Report
Staff Writer

Property owners effected by the recent flooding will need to prepare for the upcoming colder weather. Temperatures are expected to dip into the mid 20s on Friday and Saturday evenings and concerns of drinking water pipes freezing and rupturing exists.
Property owners have a few options, which are:
— Request that the City of Plymouth Water Department turn the water off at the curb by contacting the City Office at 574-936-2124 and authorizing the water disconnect. The office is open 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
— Turn the water off inside the building by the meter.
Both options would also require the owner/occupant to drain any existing water in the lines, so line freezing potentially would not occur.
— If available, heat in the building would also prevent pipes from freezing.
—Allow all faucets in the building to run slowly, approximately the diameter of a pencil lead during temperatures lower that 32 degrees.
Please note that all request to disconnect the water by the city will need to be authorized by the owner with the City Office at 574-936-2124, city officials said in a news release.
Additional questions can be directed to the City of Plymouth Water Department at 574-936-2543. The department is open 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.