Skip to main content

Through the years in Culver: early April

April 9, 2014

Marje and Bill Rinehart of the then-ready-to-open Home Restaurant (at the site of today’s Cafe Max) in 1974.

40 years ago: April 4, 1974
Opening Easter Sunday will be The Home Restau­rant at 113 N. Main Street in downtown Culver (the site of today’s Cafe Max -- editor), named by owners Marje and Bill Rinehart due to the his­tory of the space as a mov­ie theatre called The Home Theatre. Marje has been in the restaurant business in one form or another since age 13, and most recently was employed at Pinder’s Restaurant in Culver.

Sponsor Dan Adams and four Culver Jr. High students will represent their school at an Indiana State Chess Competition in Indianapolis over spring break. They are Mike Willhite, Dan Newman, Mike Boyne, and Roy Ruiz.

Clara Hart sold 108 boxes, Vickie Kersey 105, and Net­tie Salary 96 boxes in the recent Girl Scout cookie drive, making them the top three in the drive, which sold 2,950 boxes in this area.

50 years ago: April 1, 1964.
The following article is reprinted from the March 31, 1964, issue of the Indianapolis Star: "Can a visitor to New York leave an impression on this vast city of concrete, when he's here for only a few days? Indeed, he can! As proved by a phone call this week from Alex and Betty Antonoff, proprietors of the "Two Guitars" night club. "...the boys and girls of the Culver (Ind.) senior class, ac­companied by their sponsors, Miss Ruth Shanks and Mr. Larry Crabb. After they had left, we — I mean all of us — the waiters, the performers, everyone, decided this was the most responsive and yet most polite audience we have ever had...to hear our European-born performers all say that this young Indiana group was the best audience they ever performed before, made me feel like bursting with pride!" Apparently, Culver's senior class spoke volumes for Hoosiers everywhere on their two-day visit to New York last week."

Residents living around Lake Maxinkuckee, outside the corporate limits of Culver, will soon have the privilege of installing natural gas in their residences. The Northern Indiana Public Service Company started Monday to lay gas lines on Maxinkuckee Road east from Maxinkuckee landing, past the Academy airport road. On the west side of the Lake, the lines will connect with the city line in the south end of Culver and follow the West and South Shore Drives into the Venetian Village. Thus, every resident on the lake will have access to this gas utility for their per­sonal use.

60 years ago: March 31, 1954.
Eugene C. Eppley, internationally known hotel execu­tive and distinguished 1901 Academy alumnus, through the Eppiey Foundation of Omaha, Nebr., has agreed to give to the Academy the class­room building, Hall of Science, as a companion structure to Gignilliat Memorial Hall, both to be dedicated to the memo­ry of the late Brig. Gen. L . R. Gignilliat.

90 years ago: March 26, 1924.
Directors of The State Ex­change Bank have purchased the lot next to their building and plan to enlarge and remod­el their present banking quar­ters. A new vault will also be installed.

Jack Speyer w a s high point man on the high school basket­ball team this season, scoring 233 points. Whitted was next with 197 (Editor's note: the 'Whitted' in question was one of the first African-American students on an Indiana high school basketball team. The 1922 team at Culver High School currently holds the record as first integrated high school team in the state).

100 years ago: April 2, 1914.
The first steps have been taken for the organization of a free public library for Culver and Union Township. It is hoped that every person in the town and township will give at least one one book to this proposed $10,000 or $12,000 Carnegie library. Donations should be delivered to the Exchange Bank where they will be transferred to shelves in the library rooms over Dr. Tollman's office.

A new town pier will be constructed at a length of be­tween 100 and 120 feet and a width of 8 feet. It will be built in 10-foot sections and floored with 2-inch plank.

On and after next Sunday all Sunday trains on the Van­dalia will be withdrawn indefinitely, and two week-day trains will be annulled.
The Blanchard boys and their families have returned from Lomax, Illinois. They made the 400-mile trip in four days in a Ford car over, or rather, through roads hub deep with mud where heavier cars mired down. They came through the quicksand near Delong after dark without lights by walking ahead w i t h a lantern and picking their way.
110 years ago: March 31, 1904.

Clyde Combs, who moved to Culver from Leiters Ford last February and took possession the grist-mill in part­nership with his brother-in-law, Clyde Lough, was fatally wounded by the accidental discharge of a shot gun while hunting ducks Saturday afternoon, his death resulting five hours later. He was in at a blind in front of the Johnson cottage on Long Point. A wife and one small child survive him and the have the sympathy of this entire community.

View more articles in:
S M T W T F S
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
 
Add to calendar
PERU — Four years, four straight championships. But lest you think the feeling ever gets old, think...
CULVER — Culver Academies earned dual second-place regional finishes behind Warsaw, and the Eagles...
Sports Illustrated's Andy Staples explains why Florida State and Notre Dame both look like College...

 

.

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes