Lightning derails Glenn, CMA games

WALKERTON — The much-anticipated Northern State Conference-opener between first-year head coach Dave Sharpe and his John Glenn Falcons against Sharpe’s alma mater Jimtown started not with a bang but with a whimper Friday night.
It did end with a bang, however. A thunderclap to be exact.
Opening kickoff was postponed 30 minutes due to a lightning sighting, and with one quarter in the books and the two teams still locked in a 0-0 stalemate, lightning halted the on-field action once again. After holding out for nearly two hours, Glenn school officials threw in the towel on getting it in Friday with the make-up scheduled for a 9:30 a.m. restart in Walkerton Saturday. Elsewhere in the area, Culver Military’s game at NorthWood was postponed until 1 p.m. Saturday with the Eagles trailing the Panthers by a slim 14-13 margin.
With the game still scoreless and just one period out of the way, Glenn and Jimtown were slated to start from scratch Saturday.
After Glenn went three and out on the first possession, the Falcons defensive unit returned the favor, as the Jimmies’ opening drive was halted at their own 24. Zach Combes took a handoff on a nifty misdirection play on the ensuing punt return, running the ball back into Jimtown territory, and Glenn moved the chains once but stalled at the Jimmies’ 31-yard line before turning over on downs when sophomore quarterback Daniel Wallace unleashed a long bomb to senior receiver Tyler Prentkowski in the end zone that was tipped up by Jimtown’s Nate Thompson at the 4:21 stop of the clock.
The Jimmies seemed to start to figure the Glenn defense out as they managed three first downs on their next possession, reaching the Glenn 28 before the buzzer signaled the end of the first period and persistent lightning delayed the game until Saturday.
All total, Glenn registered 14 rushing yards on seven carries and Wallace went 2-for-7 passing for 15 yards, while Jimtown racked up 57 rushing yards on 12 carries, including 41 on their second and final drive of the night.
Meanwhile, in Nappanee, CMA and NorthWood were also locked in a scoreless tie at the start of the second quarter, but Hayes Barnes’ 7-yard TD run put the Eagles up 7-0 with the ensuing Ryan Graf kick just 30 seconds into the frame.
Travis Bear caught an 8-yard pass from Will Kirkwood and Connor Miller kicked a PAT to knot the game at 7-all at the 4:30 stop, but Pierre Byrne’s 85-yard TD return on the ensuing kickoff pushed the Eagles back in front, 13-7 with the failed kick.
Bear hooked up with Kirkwood for another TD pass, this time from a yard out with just 28 seconds remaining in the half, and Miller’s kick gave NorthWood a slim 14-13 advantage at the intermission before lightning derailed the contest.