First Church of God to celebrate 100 years on Sept. 8
NAPPANEE—Current and past congregation members and pastors of the First Church of God will gather, Sunday, Sept. 8, to reflect on the past 100 years in which the local church has existed.
All friends of the Nappanee Church of God are asked to share in this joyous occasion.
The church is located at 72306 CR7, Nappanee.
The day will begin, 10 a.m., with a Celebration Service featuring former pastors and singers.
It will take visitors back in time recounting the rich heritage of the church.
All in attendance that day will be treated to a noon meal. It will be followed at 1:30 p.m. by more historic reflection and a ‘Singspiration’.
A 100 Year Anniversary Committee is responsible for planning the day of celebration.
The group consists of: Pat Hoffer, Dan and Dorothy Chupp, Robert and Betty Hepler, Dallas and Kay Yoder, Karina Yoder and Don and Karen Yoder.
The committee’s goal is to help members past and present – and their guests – understand the history of the church and generate a new strength and vision for the future of the church.
“Ours is not a story that has been told, but one that is being narrated in the lives of each of us daily,” said Anniversary Committee Member Karen Yoder in a written statement.
First Church of God stands on the promise of celebrating the past and enjoying the present while welcoming the future.
For more information call the First Church of God, (574)773-7743.
In the early 1900s a field of cabbage in the area now known as West Walnut Street supplied the sauerkraut factory southeast of Nappanee.
Land from that field was purchased for $500 in January of 1913 and would became home to the original Church of God.
The project was brought together by those who had already been gathering together in faith.
“The First Church of God owes a great deal of gratitude to a fellowship of believers who met together in schoolhouses, home prayer meetings and tent meetings, around Nappanee, in the early1900s,” Yoder said in a written statement.
Men of the original church worked to dig the basement with a slip scoop and horsepower.
Women occupied the parsonage providing the working men their meals while children ran through the area playing.
Work was completed in time for a Dec. 21, 1913, dedication service. That original building still exists at 458 W. Walnut St.
The church grew and soon need arose for more room.
An addition was built onto the church in 1933.
Then an annex was added in 1951 which incurred a cost of $9,811.24.
A vote to change the name of the church came in 1968.
At that time the Church of God became the First Church of God, Incorporated, Nappanee, while a new church was being built in a new location.
On March 28, 1968, the first services were held in the new First Church of God, located at the corner of CR7 and CR54 where it has remained to present day.
Pastor Sam Bennett, who presides over the church today, extends a special invitation to all friends of the Frist Church of God, and those with ties to the church – past or present, to join Sunday, Sept. 8, in a day of celebrating 100 years of ministry through the First Church of God, Nappanee.