September 8th, 2014
Sylvia Corinne Tallarita
June 17, 1933 â Sept. 5, 2014
PLYMOUTH â Sylvia C. Tallarita, 81, died of natural causes at Pilgrim Manor at 10:52 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 5, 2014.
Sylvia was born in East Chicago on June 17, 1933 to Nicholas and Elizabeth (German) Komanich. She graduated from West High School in Plymouth, where she also played on the womenâs basketball team all through high school.
On April 17, 1955, at the Plymouth Trinity United Methodist Church, Sylvia and William Tallarita were married.
Janice J. Meredith
Sept. 6, 2014
PLYMOUTH âÂ Janice J. âJanâ Meredith, 78, died Saturday afternoon, Sept. 6, 2014 at Pilgrim Manor, Plymouth. Arrangements are in the care of the Johnson-Danielson Funeral Home, Plymouth.
John R. Hickle
Sept. 6, 2014
ARGOS â John R. Hickle, 70, of Argos, died Sept. 6, 2014 at 6:30 a.m. at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center, Mishawaka.
Arrangements are pending with the Earl-Grossman Funeral Home, Argos.
Sept. 6, 2014
Joseph James âJodyâ Verteramo Jr.
Nov. 6, 1956 - July 29, 2014
AUSTIN, Texas â Joseph James âJodyâ Verteramo Jr., 57, passed away Tuesday, July 29, 2014 in his Austin, Texas home.
Born Nov. 6, 1956, Jody is the son of Joseph James and Gloria Verteramo Sr. He was a 1975 graduate of Peru High School and earned an associate degree from the University of Texas.
Jody served his country in the United States Air Force.
Living most of his life in Texas, Jody loved teaching school and reading. He was an avid writer. He really enjoyed helping people and loved his family.
David A. Doll
Sept. 6, 1954 - Sept. 4, 2014
BOURBON â David A. Doll, 59, a resident of Bourbon, passed away unexpectedly on Thursday, Sept. 4, 2014 at 12:37 p.m. at home.
David was born the son of Paul and Betty (Tunnis) Doll at Logansport on Sept. 6, 1954. He attended Riley High School, South Bend. David has been employed at Zimmer Orthopedic of Warsaw for the past 13 years as a Polisher/Robotic Finisher. He had been a resident of Bourbon the past 20 years.
Iris M. Keck
Sept. 4, 2014
SOUTH BEND â Iris M. Keck, 85, of South Bend died at 2 a.m. Sept. 4, 2014 at her residence.
Services are pending at Van Gilder Funeral Home.
PLYMOUTH â It was nearly 24 hours in the making but the sun smiled on Plymouthâs Rockies on Saturday afternoon as they took NLC win number one of the new season with a 41-7 victory over Warsaw.
For the second week in a row the weather played havoc with the football schedule around the state and the game was suspended from Friday night with the Rockies holding a 7-3 lead. Resuming on Saturday afternoon Plymouth could do little wrong.
Monday, Sept. 8
Plymouth girls golf vs Concord, Goshen at Plymouth CC 5 p.m.
LaVille girls soccer vs CGA 5 p.m.
Glenn boys tennis at NorthWood 5 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 9
Argos volleyball vs Culver Community 5:30 p.m.
Bremen volleyball vs Bethany Christian 5:30 p.m.
Bremen boys tennis vs Knox 5:30 p.m.
Bremen girls golf vs Rochester 4:30 p.m.
LaVille boys tennis vs North Judson 5 p.m.
LaVille cross country vs Glenn, Knox, New Prairie 5:30 p.m.
Glenn boys tennis at Jimtown 5 p.m.
Glenn volleyball vs Adams 6 p.m.
Triton boys tennis at Tippy Valley 4:30 p.m.
PLYMOUTH â Earthworks second annual Farm to Fork dinner was a night of raising funds for a good cause, to help fund primarily the summer camp program at Earthworks at the Aker Farm Sept. 6.
Working with Sr. Sue Rogers, Spire restaurant owner and chef Brad Hindsley prepared a menu utilizing food from farms located within 250 miles of the area. The menu offered a filed green salad with Earthworks vegetables, Ancilla beef that had been braised for 12 hours with potatoes and swiss chard, and finished with an apple spice cake with stout caramel, apple compote, and apple sorbet.
PLYMOUTH â Saturday Sept. 6 was a somber morning as national guardsmen, local officials, and the family of SPEC Arronn Fields gathered to remember the young man who died two years ago in Afghanistan from injuries sustained by an RPG that struck his vehicle.
BREMEN â A family is without a home after fire ripped through their house on Perry Avenue in the pre-dawn hours Saturday.
According to news reports, the father woke up to give his son medicine, and smelled smoke. His wife, two other children and the family dog were home at the time and managed to get out safely.
Multiple agencies responded to the fire, which happened about 3:30 a.m.